Activities and events in Friesland 2018
There is a lot to do in Friesland during the summer months. Many activities and events are being organised in the cities and villages. But not only in the summer but also during the off season there is a lot do to in the northern province. For example in in march you have a beautiful view of the water. The wintertime goes back to the summertime, which means that the clock is going one hour further. Spring begins officially on Tuesday 21st of March and you can slowly see the nature changing. You can see the first green leaves and the temperature goes up again. Or enjoy during the summer months the setting sun and a BBQ. Every season has something special to offer.
During your boat vacation, you can visit the following activities and events. Below, you can find a list of activities and events in Friesland.
- Saturday 5th May – Liberation festivals – in various cities they celebrate Liberations day with many different performances and entertainment, also for children.
- Thursday 10th May – Fun-fair Leeuwarden – 11 AM until 5 PM you can visit various stands
- Wednesday 16 May – Waterconcert Buitenstvallaat – Abel Tasman choire. Experience this concert from your boat (only possible for small boats) or from land
- Friday 25th and saturday 26th May – Turfrace Smallingerland – On Friday the ships are sailing from the Veenhoop to Drachten. In the evening there is a music festival in Drachten. On Saturday, the ‘skûtsjes’ ‘snikken’ and ‘Pramen’ sail in competition to Leeuwarden.
- Saturday 30th June – Terug naar Heeg – The biggest music spectacle of the Neterlands on water, with famous host cabaret artist Karin Bloemen. Location: Rakkenpolle Heegermeer
- Wednesday 25th July until Sunday 29th July – Frisian balloon event Joure – you can expect a lot of entertainments such as a carnival, face painting, market, various performances, bouncers and every evening, 35 balloons are going into the sky. Location: Nutsbaan, Harddraversweg 59, Joure
- Friday 3rd until Sunday 12th August – Sneekweek – The biggest water sport event in Friesland.
- Friday 3rd untill Monday 6th August – The Tall ships races Harlingen – This is the biggest international Ocean Race with a lot of tall sailing yachts. The harbour of Harlingen will be the finish for this evenement. Op the 3th of August you will see all sailing yachts enter the harbour. A big show you don’t want to miss.
- Saturday 4th untill Friday 17th August – SKS Championship 2018 – Skûtsjesilen championship on different locations in Friesland.
- Wednesday 29th until Friday 1st September – Harlingen Fishing days – Enjoy these days the various festivities revolve around the ‘fishing days’. Music, dance performances, folklore, art, gastronomy, markets, fair, culture and sport activities.
- Friday 31st August – Gondelvaart Aldeboarn – Gondelvaart Aldeboarn is one of the biggest cultural events related to water in Friesland
- Thursday 6th untill Sunday 9th September – Admirality days Dokkum – The maritime and music festival from the North.
- Thursday 27th September – Joustermerke – The yearly market in Joure with a flower market, carnival and horse market.
- Sunday 30th September – Fun-fair Leeuwarden – 11 AM until 5 PM various stands
- Activities are coming soon